Hydrotherapy is an effective treatment used since ancient times for a wide range of injuries, illnesses, and physical conditions. There are several forms of hydrotherapy, and each of them can be practiced in a Hydropool swim spa or Sundance® spa. Benefits of hydrotherapy include relief from chronic pain, improved sleep patterns, and weight management. Some of the water-based therapies that can help users achieve these health benefits include Watsu, aqua yoga, reflexology, aromatherapy, and aquatic therapy. More details follow.
FORMS OF HYDROTHERAPY
The hot water and high-pressure jets in spas and swim spas support healing of soft tissues, reduce stress on joints, and increase circulation to the extremities. The environment is ideal for various forms of hydrotherapy, including the following:
- Watsu is the first form of Aquatic Bodywork in the world. It involves massage and combines unconditional holding, warm water, and treating the body as a whole. The treatment can be applied by professionals or friends and family members.
- Aqua Yoga adapts principles of movement in yoga to a water environment. Stretching can be optimal in water, as a result of the release of gravity.
- Reflexology is a healing practice focused on the feet and the ancient principle that the body’s different organs and glands correspond to reflex points on the feet. Flowing reflexology utilizes water in applying foot treatment, and it incorporates movement of the entire body.
- spa Aromatherapy combines aromatherapy with the relaxing spa environment. Aromatherapy uses aromatic essences naturally extracted from plants to balance, harmonize, and promote the health of mind, body, and spirit. Only spa products specifically formulated to incorporate the power of scent to the relaxing spa environment should be used for aromatherapy in a spa.
- Aquatic Therapy is physical therapy under the supervision of a trained healthcare professional that takes place in an aquatic environment, such as a spa.
The heat in a spa increases blood flow to the extremities, which accelerates healing. Buoyancy relieves painful pressure on muscles and joints. In addition, the spa jets in a spa stimulate the body’s natural painkiller, called endorphins. These are among the reasons spa therapy provides relief from stress, the following health conditions, and more:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Lower back pain
- Sore joints and muscles
The impact of exercise for the sake of physical fitness and weight management causes joints and muscles to ache. Persistent pain often discourages individuals from exercising. Hydrotherapy helps people get back to an active lifestyle because it relieves body aches and other conditions, including lower back pain.
Cortisol is a hormone released when a person experiences stress. Cortisol triggers cravings for high-fat, high-sodium foods in many individuals. Research shows that 30 minutes in a spa lowers cortisol levels, helping to curb appetites.
Goodall Pools and Spas offers a selection of Hydropool swim spas and Sundance® spas. All of these quality products and more are perfect for hydrotherapy. Contact us at one of our Pennsylvania locations today.